On top of the world

Thursday 25 March 2010

I know it’s sunny outside, but I just felt like looking through some of my pictures from this winter and I found these amazing pictures on the ski slopes of St. Anton am Arlberg, in western Austria. It’s one of the most amazing places in the whole world for skiing, it’s listed on many Top Ten Lists and what’s even better it’s known for having the best and wildest après-ski entertainment…. But only those who have been there can really understand what I’m talking about ;)

I took these shots on the higher slopes, that reach up to 2 500m altitude. It was so cold that my camera froze later that day (so cold means that I was skiing at -16°C, with a wind of 40kmph – it was so cold that my hair froze and I had snow stuck to my face all day long). You never have to underestimate the cold weather of the Austrian Alps. I do have to agree however that when it’s cold the town has a charm of its own and that everything looks much better, even the slopes when there’s no fog attached to the cold.

I know the slopes look deserted, but being as cold as it was, not a lot of skiers attempted to take the lifts all the way up to the top. I know I did it only by mistake! Because of the fog down on the slopes, I couldn’t see very well towards what ski lift I was heading, when surprise! When I couldn’t turn around anymore I realized I was actually on the highest lift. It was amazing to see that over the thick fog it was actually a very warm (-10) sunny day.

Next time I talk about Austria, and if you have been reading this blog for some time now you should know that will be next Thursday, you will get to see a glimpse of this fabulous après-ski life I was talking about earlier, and trust me – if all English people choose to come here to party, then it must be something special ;)

1 comment:

bus shah alam said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing ability has inspired me.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...