Vintage cameras

Friday 27 May 2011




Remember my last post's pictures of Paris? They inspired today's post about photography. Looking through all those pictures made me think about how and why I began taking pictures and how it turned into a passion.

The first time I held a camera in my hand it was just for fun - to take pictures of friends or places I visited, but little by little I started to be fascinated by nature, sceneries, people and I began to pay more attention to what I wanted to portray through my pictures. An old camera of my dad's, a Zenith, also did the trick - it sparked my curiosity. I must have been 13 or 14 years old at that time. Taking pictures was getting too easy for me, you just had to look through the lens, click the button and the picture was taken. With the old camera the world opened up before my eyes and I started to understand how the intricate mechanisms behind the simple click of a button worked to create the magic of a photograph. Having to do everything manually was much more interesting: adjusting the lens to the distance so that the image was clear, zoom in and out, measure the light with a "light catcher" (I have no idea how that small thing is called!) and then adjust the camera accordingly. It gave me a new sense of responsibility!

That camera marked the beginning of my passion for photography. Even though after developing the film I realized that not a single picture could be used because the camera didn't close properly where the film was stored and part of the film had been overexposed, I still wasn't discouraged and I kept on going. Here are some inspiring pictures of vintage cameras:




















I guess what I wanted to say with this post was just that you don't have to be discouraged the first time something doesn't work out the way you wanted it to be, keep trying and in the end you will achieve the results you had been hoping for. I'll wrap up with some words of wisdom from world-renowned photographer Patrick Demarchelier that express exactly what I meant.




Photos: tumblr and own

8 comments:

ellinor said...

These photos are amazing. I love the vintage quality to them. Thanks for sharing the photos and feel free to drop by me too, soon.

Cheers.

Sam said...

Thanks Ellinor!

The Vogue Advisor said...

Love your pics!!!!
Kisses from Italy...Laura

Giveaway on my blog...Click here!

THE VOGUE ADVISOR

Opal Stevens said...

Awesome post - photography is such a beautiful art! Great blog - definitely following!

http://opalstevens.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

i love vintage cameras! i actually have a little collection of them, an old polaroid from the 70s, a kodak hawkeye and duaflex and a few others. i love seeing how the technology has changed over the years. amazing post, and such inspiring quote!

thestyle-child.blogspot.com

Life's Transcript said...

Vintage camera's are so cool. I collect them as well and use my Ricoh Singlex from the 60's most... You can see some pictures I took with it on my blog:
http://lifestranscript.wordpress.com/

It´s as if all photo's taken with a vintage camera are pretty, don't you think? Even the mistaken ones :) I love how the pictures of these camera's look vintage as well, haha

Sam said...

Thanks for the comments!

Lindsay: The quote was what made me think of writing this post about photography! Definitely inspiring :)

Life's Transcript: Great vintage looking photos on your blog! Vintage cameras make you so much more aware of what surrounds you and of what you're photographing! They're great when you want to make a difference with your photos :)

Unknown said...

michael kors outlet online
supra sneakers
ray ban sunglasses cheap
burberry outlet
minnesota vikings jerseys
caterpillar work boots
toms shoes
pandora rings
timberland boots outlet
gucci handbags
2017.2.18chenlixiang

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...