Country life

Tuesday 10 August 2010



It feels like ages since I last wrote something, but my mind has been kind of taking a long vacation, a vacation at the countryside discovering hidden places in central Romania. I'm going to take you on a journey through small villages, lakes, wooden churches and into the wilderness of nature.

My journey begins in Rucar, a city on the hilltops near the border between the districts of Brasov and Arges. It's a pretty good place to stay and explore the surroundings. From here my first stop was a small wooden church in the nearby village of Dragoslavele. Despite the signs announcing a monastery, I wans't dissappointed when I just found this church. It was built in the middle of the 17th century and was originally located in Maramures, in Northern Romania, then moved to Predeal only to find its final place here, in Dragoslavele, in the 1950s. The church has beautiful wooden panels painted with the figure of St. George, its patron. Hint: walk up the stairs on the left of the entrance to get a glimpse of the bells inside the tower!




After the church, the journey took  me to an artificial lake with two dams, Satic and Pecineagu, approximately 10 km from Rucar. Unfortunately the road is so bad (much worsse than a few years ago if you happen to know it), that I didn't make it to the second dam this time, but if you do have the guts to overcome the holes in the street I can guarantee it's a magnificent sight.





I took the next set of pictures on the road that goes along the lake. You can see green pastures on the left and the lake and the forrest on the right. After the first part of the lake is over, along the road there is a stream - if you follow it you'll soon see cows and bulls crossing to get food. Don't be scared, they're really friendly! (I really don't like cables hanging around in my photographs, but it seems there's no way getting around them...)






Enjoy the wilderness of this journey untill I tell you all about the next things I'm about to visit!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...